Sunday, February 15, 2015

Good afternoon from the mountain....and the weather is looking bad


A good very cold afternoon from the mountain, we are now within an hour or so of the first part of the storm hitting our mountain.  It is already dreadfully cold, so much so that even the flies have left and well good ridens to them and their kind.  It is not snowing or raining yet, which just means there will be more when it does come.  We are expecting 5-8 inches of snow today and a few more tomorrow.  We are ready though. 
We have food for all the livestock for the next three weeks and enough for ourselves as well.  Heaters going on the pipes, little baby birds safely stashed in heated places.  We have heaters going on the pipes so we should not lose hot water this time.  The temps this week will be as low as 4 degrees; I feel that even a polar bear might shiver at the thought.  Not to mention it is warmer in Alaska today than it is here.

That said, peas are in the ground, potatoes are ready to go into the ground.  The potatoes growing in the basement should produce a nice crop of potatoes by Mid-March and the hydroponics system is looking great.  I have new tomatoes plants growing that will be ready to move into the system in about a week, so by April we will have fresh tomatoes.  It is all very exciting.  Our turnips outside look great and we should be able to cook some more up soon.  The leeks are coming along nicely as well.
As to other life issues the boys finally learned to tie their own shoes, I am so happy.  They are doing great in school and learning all kinds of wonderful things.  We have even talked about going to the spelling bees here in our state, when I find out where they are held.  They are growing up so fast.
I of course am still writing but I have not published anything else, save the two books.  School has kept me remarkable busy and lacking in all manner of free time.  But I assure you all that it will not last forever and I shall endeavor to finish at least one book this month. 
In other farm news, our first goose egg of the season was laid today; I hope to begin selling them soon.  I have a current outstanding order to fill so I am glad to have the first egg.  Our other birds are starting to pick up on laying so we should soon be doing a bit better.  We are also in the process of taking the well of power and switching at least it over to solar.  It should help to lower the power bill and give us peace of mind. 
The one thing I cannot do without is water…No other new things to talk about so I will get back to cooking and preparing the house for this dreadful weather.

Be blessed

Shekhinah



http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OPJXMN4

No comments:

Post a Comment