Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Good morning from the mountain...

Good Morning from the mountain, been up since six, cleaning and cooking.  I made blueberry pancakes with real maple syrup; they went over very well.  I made enough for breakfast tomorrow.   So the children should be very happy.  It also means one less thing I have to do tomorrow morning.

I cleaned out the fridge and made a large pot of food for the dogs with the fridge remains.  Cleaned the kitchen back up and put away some of the pasta I bought at Walmart yesterday.  This time of year all pasta, rice and grain goes into glass jars and hand or foot warmers are added to seal the jars and remove the oxygen.   I do this in case there are invisible to the human eye bug eggs in the pasta, rice, etc.  I also do this to make sure I have not brought moths home. 

I am now getting ready to can some pasta sauce and do some math, I might try to make some glass today.  I have wanted to make glass roses for a while now.  I need to work on the books as well.  I am very pleased with the launch of our first book; “Building a hydroponics system can be easy, cheap and fun...” it seems to be holding its own quite well.  I cannot wait for the release of the next book!

As to the farm, our hydroponics systems are coming along well and I am looking forward to fresh tomatoes and other yummy food all winter long.  As to the outdoor gardens our tomatoes are still going strong, but next week will surely kill them and they will be done.  Then we have to rely on the root vegetables and our greens for fresh food to go with our meat.  Our turnips are doing quite well; the others could be spouting anytime now.  I anticipate the beets coming up anytime, perhaps the carrots are too late, but we still have radishes to look forward to as well.  Our kale has done remarkable and I know we will eat well all winter long. 

I know most people do not farm through the winter, but it is the best time to grow some type of greens like Kale and turnip.  I almost forgot about the cabbage, onions and garlic, they are all doing well too.  So far it has been very cold out here, unseasonably so and with this we have had to look very closely at many of the things we do.  We have stocked up on wood, hay, food and such, as I can almost feel snow in the air and fear being caught up on the mountain for weeks at a time.  We have to take care of ourselves and look out for ourselves.  It can be a hard life…at the end of the day I and my husband are often exhausted, but all we do is for us and our children.  It is live by our own terms and means, it can be hard, but it is always rewarding. 

So I must leave you here dear ones, my work calls and I must go…
Be Blessed
Shekhinah

P.S. below this is a link to a fundraiser we are having to raise money to help us get off grid, please share it with everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment