Saturday, February 26, 2011

Day 37 of our trails and tribulations here on the farm




Welcome again to our online lives
Today was a strange day, got up early so I could go to the feed store and also get dog food.  When I pulled in to the grocery store lot I saw Mona and some other people that I guess I know and it was interesting, I am sure that even though I said nice things about her, that on her end or giving of words it was less than kind in her talking of me in return.  Well, what can one do; people will be the way they are, my life will go on.  Went to get the dog food first at the store and got a great deal on it, 2 -20lb bags for $4.00 each.  I was pleased, but should not have lifted them.  Pulled a muscle in my back that has been killing me all day.  after all this I predeceased to the Salem Feed, I buy almost all  our feed there now, I like Ken the owner and his wife, they are good people and they are always kind to everyone.  Had to have the young man who worked there, Chris and another farmer get me all turned back around as I almost jack-knifed the trailer trying to back it up.  I plan to find a big empty parking lot or field to practice in at some later date.   Got our feed, and a few bales of hay to get us by until our hay gets here tomorrow, before noon, G-d willing.  We ordered 15 rounds bales and I am hoping to get them and be able to take Michael to Lunch at a new Chinese restaurant that our friends opened up in West Plains, Mo.  It sure is nice being able to go further than 15 miles.  For over a year that was about as far as we could go without help from others.  I have always been very grateful for the help of others and feel I could tell them thank you a million times and it never be enough.  Very few people know how hard it has been for the last few years and how grateful we are to be able to just get in the van and go and now with the horse trailer I hope to build our business back up and be able to do better for us. So far just having the van has been a blessing and the horse trailer has doubled it. 
I left the horse trailer at the house, got the babies ready to go and we started out toward the persons farm we were visiting today.  Along the way I realized something was really wrong with what I thought a first was the front end, nope it was a tire issue.  Found out I had a bad tire and drove on it over an hour away from my house pulling a loaded horse trailer, ewwwww.  Could not see what was wrong with it and had begun to think it must be the front end, well on the way to visit a horse, I found it just seemed off, so we stopped for gas and checked it and it turned out the tires had sat to long before we bought the van and they had dry rotted, yikes and spilt right down the center, the strangest thing I have eever seen in all my years of driving.  We are safe, no one or any property got hurt, we put on the spare continued our journey.  The farm we went to was amazing they had a huge male La Mancha goat that I would love to own, he had to weigh about 300lb and was so gentle and sweet, the babies and him played tag and he showed off his many tricks as well.  They also had lovely pigeons’, more than a few mini horses, a white donkey and about the sweetest little husky pup ever.  I loved playing with the puppy and wish she loved it less, I tried to buy it from her, but the pup was greatly loved where it was, the goat we may acquire though and we should know soon.  I will let you all know if we get him and show you lots of photos, if we do.   
Next when we were all done playing, we stopped at “Poor boy’s Furniture” over outside of Ash Flat, Arkansas, they always have great deals.  I bought Michael a black leather recliner chair for his birthday tomorrow.  It is a Basset and very lovely and reasonable priced at $175.00.  They always have nice gently used items.  Can’t say enough nice things about them.  Anyway the chair is made here in the US, so I am happy about that as well. 
Went to Wal-Mart in Ash Flat and got tires, it took almost four hours , but we got them, some young man tried to tell me that they did not have my tire, which they did and that helped to drag the overall time out.  Tires cost a ton, and now I still have to get new tires for the horse tire, which has the wrong size tires on it.  Anyway we ate cookies at Wal-Mart and tried to be patience, I got home and realized that after being there for over four hours, I forgot printer ink,,,emmmm.  Oh well I will do it Monday.  Than when I saw that I was nearly done, wham, I paid and got money back so I would have cash for tomorrow, since I spent my cash on the chair earlier and she tried to give me the same 100 dollar bill twice.  That poor women had way to much going on around her, and my few groceries, (two bags of vegetables), Michael new sneakers and the dust cloths, still were not even rung up.  This was an epic failure on my behalf in some way, I am just not really sure how.  Now Michael is taking the kids out and I am standing there waiting for someone to come check her draw because I told her she was wrong and gave her back her money.  They counted and the draw after about 15 minites, yikes and low and behold I had been right.  They thanked me for my honesty which was hard to understand because everyone should act that way, if something is not yours, don’t take it.  Anyway, I gave a few cards out, maybe we will find some new clients.
We came home to two of the three horses out again, and eating the feed I had just bought, ewww made me angry.  But Michael and the kids have it under control and I guess it was not a whole bunch off feed like I had been led to think.  So I can chill out and not freak out that the horses are going to founder or worse colic, I just don’t think I could handle that, but if it happened I would of course have no choice. 
I made fried chicken rice for dinner, I had called home earlier while at Wal-Mart and had the boys make the rice.  I cooked the chicken and newly bought veggies and added spices and such and cooked it together and served it, it was ok. 
Now on to other things, I was emailed some neat stuff today, which I am going to share with you.  The first one will mostly likely only help local readers of our blog, below that is a list of foods that never go bad.   I hope these help someone. 


Organic Feed Grain for your livestock; Goats, chickens, pigs, cattle,
rabbits, etc.
Mix your own whole grain feed and give your livestock REAL food... not  just a pelleted ration made from grain by-products with added, sometimes synthetic vitamins and minerals.

Remember, if you eat eggs or meats produced from your livestock... YOU'LL
BE  EATING WHAT YOU'VE FED.

Here is the list of grains available;

Alfalfa Pellets .37/lb $17.50/50lb

Barley .25/lb $12.50/50lb

Bean(navy) .38/lb $19.00/50lb

Corn (cracked) .28/lb $14.00/50lb

Millet .28/lb $14.00/50lb

Oats (whole) .28/lb $14.00/50lb

Sunflower Seed .40/lb $10.00/25lb

Wheat .24/lb $12.00/50lb

Save $$ if you order over 1,500 pounds of any combination of grains as
long as
it's in 50lb quantities.

Check out what we feed our animals at Falconridgefarm.org
Email or Call 417.668.-0055 to place your order, or to have questions answered.


I found this list and thought it might be useful...As far as I know, these items will not spoil...if you have a different opinion on one, (or more, lol) let me know. :-)

1. Sugar
Regardless of whether your sugar is white, brown, or powdered, it will never
spoil because it doesn't support bacterial growth.

The challenge with sugar is to keep it from hardening into chunks. To keep sugar
fresh, store it in an airtight container or seal it in a plastic bag. If your
brown sugar is more like a brown rock, you can revive it with just a minute in
the microwave on low heat.

2. Pure vanilla extract
If you have pure vanilla extract in the back of the cupboard, there's no need to
throw it out because it lasts forever. It may be more expensive than its
imitation counterpart, but its shelf life certainly outweighs the extra cost.

Keep that vanilla flavor at its best by sealing the botttle after each use and
storing it in a cool, dark place.

3. Rice
White, wild, jasmine, arborio and basmati rice all keep forever so there's no
need to throw them out. Brown rice is the one exception because it has a higher
oil content so store it in the refrigerator or freeze it to maximize its shelf
life
. Once you've opened a bag or box of rice, move it to an airtight container
or resealable freezer bag to keep it fresh.

4. Corn starch
You can thicken gravies and sauces for years with just one box of corn starch
because it keeps indefinitely. Store this kitchen staple in a cool, dry area and
be sure to reseal it tightly after each use.

5. Honey
Whether you use it in your tea, on your toast or as an alternative sweetener,
that jar of pure honey is good forever. It may get grainy or change color, but
it's still safe to eat — and delicious — because its antibiotic properties keep
it from spoiling.

You can help keep it fresh by storing it in a cool area, and you can improve the
quality of crystallized honey by placing the jar in warm water and stirring it
until the grainy parts dissolve.

6. Salt
The contents of your salt shaker will never spoil, regardless of whether it's
basic table salt or sea salt. Simply store it in a cool, dry place and salt will
keep indefinitely.

7. Corn syrup
If you come across a years-old bottle of corn syrup in your pantry, don't throw
it out. This sweetener keeps indefinitely as long as you keep it sealed and
store it in a cool, dry area.

8. Maple syrup
What good are pancakes or waffles without maple syrup? Luckily, this flavorful
syrup will never spoil if you refrigerate it or freeze it. For long-term
storage, seal it in an airtight plastic container and freeze it.

"The freezer is such a useful tool that can really save you money because there
are very few foods that don't freeze well," says Janice Revell of StillTasty.com.

9. Distilled white vinegar
This wonder product can be used for everything, from making marinades and salad
dressings
to cleaning house and doing laundry. But the best thing about
distilled white vinegar is that it lasts for years. Simply close it tightly
after each use and store the bottle in a cool, dark place.
Have to go for now, just got called away to help someone. 

Be blessed dear ones
Shekhinah, Michael and the kids and critters here on Mahanaim Farm
The soul has three garments: thought, speech and action
- Tanya

The foundation of all foundations, and the pillar of all wisdom, is to know that there is a First Existence, who brings all existences into being; that all existences of heaven and earth and between them, derive existence only from the truth of His existence
- Maimonides

Devarim-Deuteronomy 7:9. Know, therefore, that the Lord, your G-d He is G-d, the faithful G-d, Who keeps the covenant and loving kindness with those who love Him and keep His commandments to a thousand generations.

"If you don't understand weapons, you don't understand fighting. If you don't understand fighting you don't understand war. If you don't understand war you don't understand history. If you don't understand history, you might as well live with your head in a sack."  an unknown Jewish sage
 
Egyptian Sesame Seed Sauce (Tehina)

1/2 cup sesame paste (tahini)
1 cup water
2 lemons, juice only
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
salt to taste

Place sesame paste in the bowl of a food processor with water, lemon
juice, garlic cloves, and cumin. Pulse to combine, then process until
the mixture has the consistency of thick cream. Transfer to a bowl and
add salt to taste.

Tehina will keep for at least a week, tightly covered in the refrigerator.

Makes 1 1/2 cups (6 - 1/4 cup servings)

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 127 Calories; 11g Fat (69.2%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 26mg Sodium.

Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment