Saturday, June 14, 2014

Mystery meat and biscuits

Good evening from the mountain…

Restful day and I am now making fresh biscuits and mystery meat gravy, with fried cabbage and onion tops from the garden.  The meat really is not a mystery, it is ground cow meat from the freezer, but the kids got to pick, they wanted goat, but I did not have any ground goat left, I think I had ground lamb and deer in the other freezer, all from here of course.  I just wanted the kids to feel as if they get a say in dinner and the meat they eat.  I want them to know all meat is good. 



Here is my recipe for mystery meat gravy:

To feed 4 people well, you will need to brown two pounds of meat, next take ½ cup of flour, I used fresh ground red wheat flour.  Mix with the meat and grease.  You will now start to add your milk, you will need 5 cups; I use whole milk, never use 1 % or 2% milk or even skim as that is what people feed calves in productions farms to make them fat.  I use whole goat milk for mine; I would use cow if I had it.  Add milk about a cup at a time until you have added it all, keep stirring over medium heat until it starts to bubble up a bit, them once it is almost thick enough pull from the heat, it will thicken a bit more as it cools.  Add a little pepper..and land salt or salt, do not use white store bought store, believe you don’t even want to know.

Quick drop biscuits:

4 cups fresh ground flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
4 teaspoons of honey
1 teaspoon –cream of tarter
½ teaspoon salt, I used pink salt, lots of good things in there.
1 cup melted butter
2 cups of milk

Mix all dry ingredients together, then add butter and milk, do not over mix, should look a bit lumpy.   Drop by big spoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheet, bake at 450 degrees until a bit golden around the top.


Now you too can cook like we do here on the farm…
Be blessed and rest well

Shekhinah









No comments:

Post a Comment