Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Good evening from the mountain and fruit recalls in the USA

Good evening from the mountain, I went to t the college today to fix my schedule and ended up with more classes.  I can hardly believe it more classes.  I have to take College Capstone, a class that requires a workbook that is designed to show what you have learned; I hope they are not expecting much…Lol  Intro to Computer Applications, which forces you to buy a book that has a sample of office 2013, not to thrilled with that, so I will call Microsoft on Thursday and see about a free trial from them directly.  If I can do that, I will save over $70.00.  Algebra I have the software for already, so I am fine there.  The last class Introduction to Sociology requires a $150.00 book; it is questionable about renting the book as you must have something called coursemate.  Not happy about that at all. 


I also bought feed at the feed store; they had wheat, and this made me happy.  I also bought a bag of hydrated lime; low and behold it is the same lime as pickling lime.  I like to make Hominy, which is made from corn and lime or lye, depending on what type you are making.  I figured that if they are selling the Lime for use around animals, the chances of it being less than food grade are very slim, though I will check it before I use it.  A50 lb. bad at the feed store is $9.45; one pound bag at the grocery store is nearly $4.00 makes you wonder why it cost so much. 
Check out hominy and the cool things you can make with it.




Making your own food is the greatest gift you can give yourself and your family.

The puppies are doing great on day 8 of their lives; I will post new photos tomorrow. 




 Our gardens are still coming along, and I hope to get to work on them more on Thursday, tomorrow I must take the children and myself to the eye doctor, it is an hour each way so it will be a long day for me.  It should rain about the time we get back, so no having to water the gardens.  The children plan to see their Grand Parents, maybe we will all do lunch, Chinese or pizza, I am hoping Chinese food.  So that is the greatness of our day.
Be blessed dear ones
Shekhinah

P.S. If you are in the states, please read this:


If you’ve picked up fruit at Costco, Trader Joe’s or Wal-Mart stores recently, keep reading.

Wawona Packing Co. is voluntarily recalling peaches, nectarines, plums and pluots that were packed at its Cutler, California, warehouses between June 1 and July 12. Wawona believes the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.

Costco, Trader Joe’s, and the Wal-Mart Corp. — which operates Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club stores, have all posted notices about the fruit recall on their websites. The recall is nationwide, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Internal testing at Wawona revealed the potential Listeria contamination, the FDA says. The facility was shut down and sanitized; subsequent tests have been negative for the food-borne illness.

“We are aware of no illnesses related to the consumption of these products,” Wawona President Brent Smittcamp said in a statement. “By taking the precautionary step of recalling product, we will minimize even the slightest risk to public health, and that is our priority.”

Trader Joe’s has urged customers not to eat any of these stone fruits — meaning fruits with large pits — and to return them to a nearby store for a full refund.

In addition, Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. has recalled several of its baked goods that contain fruit from Wawona Packing Co. This includes cakes, pies, tarts and other pastries. For a full list, see FDA.gov.

Listeria monocytogenes is a bacterium that can cause Listeriosis. The most common symptoms of Listeriosis are gastrointestinal issues (such as diarrhea), fever and muscle aches. Pregnant women, infants, older adults and people with a weakened immune system are particularly at risk for a more serious infection, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC estimates about 1,600 illnesses and 260 deaths are caused by Listeriosis each year in the United States. Overall, outbreaks have been on the decline since 2001, but the largest in U.S. history occurred in 2011. Cantaloupes from a farm in Colorado sickened 147 people and killed nearly three dozen. The farmers responsible recently were sentenced to five years’ probation, including six months of in-home detention.

Jeanne










No comments:

Post a Comment